Thursday, April 15, 2010

The Suspense!

Hey All!

I remember watching Jurassic Park when I was 9 or 10 (so only 2 or 3 years after it came out in theatres in 1993) and the suspense of the film is certainly evident in the novel. I must also say that Crichton’s focus on the morality of science, the great power that science can wield and the commentary on the evils of a commercial society was unexpected but welcome introduction to the story. I don’t want to get into it too much now, because I don’t want to give too much away but: Yay dinosaurs!

Anyways...

During the first couple of books I plan on hammering down a posting, reading, watching and recipe schedule. For now I thought I should post a recipe just to let you all know (and to figure out) how it goes. I was thinking that the pretence of this blog is that there will be a 'dinner' or a whole meal to go with the film – so throughout the week I should post a side, a main and maybe a dessert or a veggie dish? I have also been debating whether or not I should give my recipe’s theme names. It sounds fun and laughable but slightly silly and incredibly cheesy. I keep laughing when I come up with names like ‘Terrifying Tubule’ or ‘Raptor Ribs’ but a good laugh (however cheap) is never a bad thing.

For today, I’ve been trying to think of something simple that I have made often, that is delicious and that, if you do have to go to the grocery store for, it will at least be cheap. I thought a side dish was a good place to start – for some reason people always get stumped with a side dish and usually just go for potatoes or rice. I thought I’d mix it up with:

Suspenseful Sweet Potato Wedges

(Instead of your regular white potatoes, which are high in starch and carbohydrates, swap them out for sweet potatoes (a.k.a. Yams) which are a vitamin healthier – although higher in sugars – option.)

4 – 8 med. Sweet Potatoes (peeled)

2 – 3 tbs. Olive Oil

1 – 2 tbs. Lemon Juice

1 Clove of Garlic (diced)

2 tsp. (or to taste) Cayenne Pepper/ Hot Paprika/ Paprika

Salt & Pepper (to taste)

Peel your sweet potatoes, I cook for three people so I use about 6 medium sweet potatoes (2 per person, because they are so delicious), and cut them into wedges. Toss your sweet potatoes into a bowl and mix in the olive oil, lemon juice, garlic and spices. Whenever I make potatoes (any kind) I toss them like a salad (with oil, vinegar and spices) in a bowl before I bake them, to make sure they are all coated. Bake the sweet potatoes at 350 for 20 – 25 minutes (longer if you are using white potatoes) in a large cake pan lined with tin foil or wax paper (to make the cleanup easier).

Alright! Let me know how it goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment